Malta Yacht Registration
Register your boat under Maltese Flag
Malta Yacht Registration – Register small and luxury yachts
The Maltese flag is the largest European flag for ship and yacht ownership. It's compliant with Eu legislation, has clear laws on yacht mortgages and registration costs are relatively low. Temporary registrations allow you to sail your yacht with hardly any delay while permanent registration status is achieved.
The Maltese register is open to all kinds of boats, Sailing Yacht, Motor Yacht, Cabin Boats, Open Boats, including vessels under construction and many more. If the owner is not residing in Malta we will act as a resident agent for the vessel. This is an advantage versus many jurisdictions that require the owners to reside in the country of registration or the be a national of said country.
You can get a temporary registration in 2 or 3 days if all the corresponding documents have been duly supplied. This will be valid for 6 months while we apply for the permanent registration. In case documents are not sent in time we can apply for an extension of the temporary Maltese Yacht registration.
For more information on Malta please contact us by E-Mail, Phone or WhatsApp. Our local agent can help you with your detailed inquiries.
Advantages of registering under the Maltese flag:
- All types of vessels can be registered (there are some extra requirements on ships over 15 years old)
- Temporary registration is available (2/3 days, providing all documents are supplied)
- Well known jurisdiction, no issues in Ports
- Vessels under construction can be registered
- EU / EEA and Swiss national may hold yacht in their personal name, all others need to setup a Maltese or Eu company.
- Residence of beneficial owner is irrelevant
- No restrictions on the nationality of the master, officers and crew of vessels registered under the Malta flag
- No restrictions on the sale and mortgaging of Maltese ships
- No restrictions on the sale or transfer of shares of a company owning a Maltese yacht;
- Annual yacht registration costs are low
- Bareboat charter registrations are possible
Important: Vessels under 6 meters cannot be registered with the Maltese yacht registration
So which are the restrictions:
- Vessels of 15 years and older must pass an inspection by an authorised inspector, this can be carried out at any time within a month of provisional registration end.
- Vessels between 20 and 25 years old must pass an inspection by an authorised person prior receiving provisional approval.
- Any vessel over 25 years old can only be registered under the Maltese flag with a specific official permission.
Recognized organizations by the Maltese government for survey, tonnage and convention certificates
- American Bureau of Shipping
- Bureau Veritas
- China Classification Society
- Korean Register of Shipping
- Lloyd’s Register of Shipping
- Polish Register of Shipping PRS
- Registro Italiano Navale RINA
- Russian Maritime Register of Shipping
Documents required for the Pleasure Registration of a vessel in Malta:
(Originals must be supplied and will be returned after)
- The builders certificate if new
- The bill of sale
- A certificate of a survey done by a recognized surveyor
- ITD for vessels over 24 meters only
- Duly signed carving and marking note
- The deletion certificate
- Surrender the original provisional certificate
Documents required for the provisional registration for commercial vessels in Malta:
- Radio Report
- Radio Application
- Declaration of ownership
- International antifouling certificate
- International load line certificate
- Inspection Report
- MLC Compliance Certificate
- Certificate of Survey
- Application for registration
- Previous tonnage certificate
- Certified copy of previous registration certificate
- Previous certificate of survey (if applicable)
- Safe manning application form
Documents required for permanent commercial registration in Malta:
- Original deletion certificate
- Original bill of sale (dated before the provisional registration)
- International tonnage certificate obo Malta
- Original Builders certificate
- Certificate of Survey obo Malta
- Surrender of provisional registration certificate
- Carving and Marking note